Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ten things I would do as your Member of Parliament


I knight in shining armour for
Perth-Wellington?

1)  1) Hold monthly open house evenings in all parts of the riding. At these events, I would give a short talk or Powerpoint presentation to address the issues and laws being discussed in Ottawa and how they affect the economy, the environment, health-care, social justice and other aspects of life and government in Perth-Wellington. Then I would address questions brought forward by anyone who shows up and try to find out how I could be part of workable solutions to individual and community problems. There will be snacks. 
2)  Approach all high school civics teachers and elementary teachers teaching “government” in the riding about making myself available as a resource to their classes, both in person and remotely from Ottawa. I would encourage the other parties’ riding associations to participate by sending representatives and information to discussions in the schools hosted by the teachers. If I am not in government, it would be important for the government’s point of view to be represented, if it is different from mine.  Engaging young people in the political process and helping to educate them in the functions of government will be one of my highest priorities.
3)  Partner with my Provincial Member of Parliament if she/he is willing, to share ideas and issues which relate to our common riding.  If possible, we could appear together at the monthly open house meetings, since people often bring concerns that may need to be addressed by both levels of government. Also, people are also often understandably confused about which level of government they should be addressing on any given issue.
4)  Attend as many county council and municipal council meetings as I could to make myself available to municipal politicians, and understand the issues they face so that I could address their concerns as they relate to the federal government.
5)   Run as transparent an office as possible with daily updates to a website as to my itinerary, expenses and voting record (and why I voted the way I did or why I did not vote if I was absent from parliament, and why I was absent).  I would also make this website a centralized resource for people in my riding who want up-to-date information on issues affecting the riding or who want to post their own point of view about those issues. I will use the website to highlight important upcoming legislation and ask people to respond with reasons why I should vote one way or the other.  
6)  Host a speakers series in all parts of the Perth-Wellington asking interesting people from within and without the riding to publicly address specific topics as they relate to our common future.  The common theme would be how government is, could be, should be or shouldn’t be involved in some aspect of life in Perth-Wellington, and what does the future hold for that aspect of life. “The future of farming in P-W” would be an example of a talk that could be given.  I would set up this speakers series so that it could be viewed live over the internet, recorded for viewing later and available as an audio podcast.
7)  Not take orders from my party as to how to vote in parliament or how much time to spend in Ottawa and, if my parliamentary activities (votes, committee works, etc.) are not going to be decisive anyway, I may opt to spend the time in my riding if I feel that would be more productive.  If I miss a vote as a result, I will publicly explain, in advance, why and how I would have voted, had I been there.
8)  If not in government, vote with the government on any legislation that I feel will benefit the people of Perth-Wellington in the long term.
9)  Not cross the floor to sit as a member of another party.
10)  Not waste citizens’ money mailing flyers or engaging in other kinds of self-promotion within the riding.  All appearances, mailings, websites and office activities will have the goal only of sharing relevant information, educating anyone who wants to know more about issues, helping involve all people in the political process and working on behalf of individual constituents who face problems dealing with the federal government. 

No comments:

Post a Comment